Saturday, January 17, 2015

Prepositions, Prepositional Phrases, and Objects of the Prepositions

Hello!  I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  I thankful to have Monday off in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. 

My fourth graders and I spent some time on prepositions, prepositional phrases, and object of the prepositions.  I would like to share some of the things we did in our classroom.

I read Behind the Mask: A Book about Prepositions by Ruth Keller and The Preposition Pony Show (One of the books included in Scholastic’s Parts-Of-Speech-Tales) written by Justin McCory Martin.
I had my students help identify prepositions in the text.  We listed them on chart paper and later each student selected a word to use in a 7up sentence and included an illustration. 
We used the prepositions page from my Grammar Interactive Notebook Flaps to define prepositions, prepositional phrases, and objects of the prepositions.  The resource comes with the notebook flaps and definitions.  The students and I come up with the example sentences.  We worked together to circle the prepositions, underline the prepositional phrases, and draw an arrow from preposition to the object of the preposition.  If you are interested in having this resource, it can be found HERE.
 
 
I love the PowerPoints created by Teachers Unleashed.  I used their “The Smelly Truth about Cause and Effect” and “The Smelly Truth about Cause and Effect 2 The Stinkquel” to give my students more practice with prepositions.  They really enjoyed interacting with both resources and it helped them to gain a better understanding.  It also came with an excellent activity where students wrote sentences that included prepositions, to describe a picture. My students never get tired of playing scoot and so I try to include it in our lessons two or three times a week.  Here they are playing scoot with my prepositional phrases task cards.  They are part of my All About Prepositions, Prepositional Phrases, and Object of the Preposition resource.  You can see more from this resource HERE.
 
They can also be found in THIS discounted bundle that includes sentences, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, and prepositions.

During the week, I also had my students make a list of prepositional phrases that they noticed in their independent reading books.  At the end of the week, they shared their sentences as a way to review for the assessment.
I like to change things up a bit each year and I am always in search of new activities, books, and resources to use in my classroom.  What are some of the things you do with your students while teaching prepositions?

No comments :

Post a Comment