Monday, July 1, 2013

My First Monday Made It


I’ve always loved looking at Tara’s linky “Monday Made It” but I didn’t have a blog at the time to participate.  Now that school has ended for the summer and I have had a chance to relax I can do a little sharing myself.
I wanted a quick and convenient way for my students to select new words for the words that they constantly overused in their writing.

I do teach them how to use and provide them with a thesaurus, but these are the words that are frequently overused year after year.  It is nice to have them in one place.  It also gives them another opportunity to get up and move a bit.

A few years ago I came up with this system.

IMAG0507.jpg
I have used this pocket chart in my classroom for the last three years.  (This is a pocket chart that is made for a calendar.)  I have words that my students frequently overuse listed on the chart.  In each pocket, I have synonyms for the word held together by a binding ring.  When they need to improve on a word they go to the chart and look through the words on the ring and select another choice for their overused word.
 
This chart always becomes a very useful tool for my students throughout the year.

I decided it needed a makeover and I wanted it to match my new classroom theme.  So here is the new and improved version.
If you would like to make your own version, but don’t have the time to design your own.  I have it for sale in my TPT store. Today only, I have it on sale with a 20% discount. 

It includes five different titles and word cards that you may choose to use, 31 word cards, over 650 synonym word cards, and a blank sheet to make your own overused words. 

I would love for you to leave a comment sharing what word or words are frequently overused in your students’ writing.  I will send a copy of this resource to the first two people who respond with your answer and email address.

Stop by Tara’s blog - 4th Grade Frolics and take a look at all of the wonderful things others have created.

5 comments :

  1. This looks great! I wish I had space for it in my room.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the party! :O) Your new chart looks great! Don't you love revamping a creation?
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your overused pocket chart is brilliant! I love that it can be made interactive! The most frequently overused words in my students' writing include: good, nice, fun, cool, and scary.

    lawrence.gabriellal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this overused word chart! The most overused word in my classroom is good, happy, sad, and mad. Next year these words will be banned words!

    dannahsteele@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete